The kinetic molecular theory describes the motion of atoms and molecules and explains the properties of gases. As a basis for understanding this concept:
- 5a. Students know the random motion of molecules and their collisions with a surface create the observable pressure on that surface.
- 5b. Students know the random motion of molecules explains the diffusion of gases.
- 5c. Students know how to apply the gas laws to relations between the pressure, temperature, and volume of any amount of an ideal gas or any mixture of ideal gases.
- 5d. Students know the values and meanings of standard temperature and pressure (STP).
- 5e. Students know how to convert between the Celsius and Kelvin temperature scales.
- 5f. Students know there is no temperature lower than 0 Kelvin.